The ACHS research travel grant is offered to support scholars and researchers working on any project related to American Catholic history who need to conduct research in any archive, library, or repository in the five-county Philadelphia area.
The grant of up to $2,500 is intended to cover travel, lodging, and other research expenses.
- The grant is available to scholars, students, and independent researchers in any discipline working on a topic related to American Catholic history.
- Researchers must reside more than 75 miles from the repository they intend to visit.
- Preference will be given to graduate students, contingent faculty, and others with limited institutional support.
- ACHS travel grant application form (name, address, etc.)
- An application letter of no more than 2 pages, which includes:
- a description of the project
- identification of the archives and archival collections to be consulted
- timeline for visit
- an estimated budget
- A one-page CV or biographical statement.
- Graduate students must provide a letter of support from their thesis/dissertation advisor. It can be included in the packet or emailed separately.
Apply for a grant
Email application materials as a PDF to email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed by members of the ACHS board and outside scholars.
Timeline for 2024 applications
Applications are due February 15, 2024. Awards will be announced by March 15, 2024.
Eligible local repositories
- Catholic Historical Research Center of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia (Philadelphia, PA)
- Redemptorist Archives (Philadelphia, PA)
- Society of the Holy Child Jesus American Province Archives (Rosemont, PA)
- Ukrainian Catholic Archeparchy of Philadelphia Archieparchial Archives (Philadelphia, PA)
- Collections housed at a local Catholic college or university
- Any other private archive of a religious community or Catholic institution
- Non-Catholic archives that hold materials relevant to American Catholic history
Term and Conditions
In accepting the grant, the recipient agrees to submit a report to the Society within one month of the completion of the research trip. Research should be conducted within one year of receipt of the travel grant.
Recipients of the ACHS Research Travel Grant are encouraged to submit their research to the Society’s scholarly journal, American Catholic Studies, for consideration for publication. Submission guidelines.
The Society reserves the right to award a partial grant or to split the award among deserving applicants, depending on the needs outlined in the candidate’s application.
For any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.